At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
BM Alliance Coal Operations Pty Ltd has some exciting opportunities for Open Cut Overseers (OCO) to join our open cut operations across our Asset working a continuous roster and reporting to the Production Superintendent.
You will be accountable for proactively overseeing and leading safe planning processes, collaborating across teams to lead systemic improvements in existing safety processes and increasing the safety and health management capability of existing leaders and others with statutory qualifications.
This opportunity presents a chance for you to work in a dynamic leadership role where you can leverage your experience in leadership, stakeholder engagement, safety, compliance and legislative aspects.
This role will be based at Peak Downs Mine on a roster of 6 on 6 off, offering flexible travel arrangements.
- Carries out the responsibilities and duties prescribed under a CMSH Regulation in one or more surface mine excavations;
- Provides proactive technical and practical advice for the development of tactical and short term mine plans to achieve safe and efficient production outcomes;
- Collaborates with production supervisors, production superintendents and mine planners to coordinate and execute mine team objectives to set and meet mine plans in a safe and efficient manner;
- Proactively identifies and promotes early identification of risks across mines;
- Proactively reports on and analyses safety performance to identify opportunities for continuous improvement based on analysis of in field inspections, operational trends and industry shifts/events;
- Facilitates Field Leadership and Asset Risk Management Framework Activities (eg MOC processes and risk assessments);
- Provides coaching to develop safety and health management capability of existing leaders and other persons who are attaining their OCE qualification;
- Facilitates regular opportunities (e.g. pre-start briefings, leadership team meetings) for teams to discuss risk, share lessons learned and improve risk management or operational practices including as a result of involvement in asset wide initiatives; and
- Promotes and embeds BHP lean Methodologies to enable teams to proactivley identify and implement safety improvement opportunities.
You will be a performance and achievement oriented professional, who is motivated by exceeding expectations and is able to use your relationship building and influencing skills in order to deliver results. Your strong desire to work with your team to ensure they are delivering their best will see you well placed for success.
Your background in leading a large team on a front-line supervisory capacity and the ability to engage and build capability of your reports and be a champion for change is highly desirable for this role.
You will come with an Open Cut Examiner Certificate of competence (QLD) or equivalent qualification that is eligible for mutual recognition or actively pursuing the qualification. You will also have a QLD drivers licence and S1, 2 and/or 3 competencies.
This broad and challenging role will utilise your abilities to work across stakeholders and deliver on competing priorities in order to achieve improved safety outcomes for the operation clearly demonstrated throughout your prior experience.
Please ensure all Qualifications or if you have commenced the mutual recognition process clearly marked in your resume.
About Our Process
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
To ensure the safety and wellbeing of our people, BHP requires employees in Australia to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in line with BHP’s Covid Policy and any relevant State health directives. If you are applying for a role at BHP please consider this requirement when submitting your application. BHP will also adhere to any relevant health directives that may be made that affects our workforce.
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.